Friday, June 02, 2006


The UN and Make Goals NotWar ..

The driving factor behind the creation of the United Nations (UN) was to keep the peace between countries.

So here I am in Geneva, Switzerland where the UN's main offices are located. I met with representatives of the Special Adviser to the UN Secretary General on Sports for Development and Peace. That's right, the UN recognizes and actively promotes sports for peace. According to them:

Sport, as a universal language, can be a powerful vehicle to promote peace, tolerance and understanding. Through its power to bring people together across boundaries, cultures and religions, it can promote tolerance and reconciliation.

This meeting really encouraged me to work even harder and excites me about the potential of Make Goals Not War. Especially now that I know an international precedent exists, I am on ever surer footing.
 
Add to Technorati Favorites